8/10/2010

Day 10, A Second Post

Today was... decent.
It had a couple of challenges, but it was over all pretty nice.

Around 10 p.m. last night, our AC stopped working. We had to call a repairman in the middle of the night to come out and fix it. He did, and now we have AC, but I didn't get into bed until around 2 a.m.

I had to be at work by 9 a.m. (as I have to do for the next three days in a row), and of course I was half-asleep when I arrived at work.
I worked with Cliff, which was pretty fun. Despite the fact that he makes fun of me (don't worry, it's all in good fun, and I make fun of him too), he really does liven up a shift. Especially when I'm groggy and kind of cranky at 9 a.m.

I grabbed a walkie talkie, opened a couple of registers, made sure that the door got opened (it was still closed after we were open for ten minutes; whoops!), rang people up, hard ticketed items, took a break, rang more people up, took a lunch, made sure there were no holes up front, did go backs, recovered the front half of scrap booking, and embarassed myself in front of the guy that I'm interested in.

See, the problem with being interested in someone is that sometimes you get really nervous. And when you get really nervous during a shift at WORK, it makes it hard to, ya know, socialize with that person. When you find it hard to socialize with someone, you lose sight of what you think you want to say, and end up saying something completely ridiculous such as "Do you want to exchange numbers?" twice, in succession, because home boy "didn't hear you" the first time. So then you stand there, awkwardly, and say something along the lines of "Yeah, it's kind of a big deal that I asked at all, so..." Then he gets this look on his face, like he doesn't know what to say to you, and says "Uh, no" with an awkward look on his face. I kind of prodded the no, because he looked so hesitant and needed an easy out. So then I asked him what he was doing, and he didn't know what I meant, and when I explained, he replied with "Attaching wire." Then I went and actually did more work, shaking off the awkward and attempting to mend my slightly-bruised ego.

What I need to remember is something that John Green said (in one of his novels or in a Youtube video): "People aren’t miracles. They’re people. And whether we’re dehumanizing people or romanticizing them, we’re doing both them and ourselves the same fundamental disservice, which is imagining that other people are in some way different from us or in some way fundamentally separate from ourselves, which is just not true." Maybe then I won't be so nervous and embarrass myself.

Other than that, work was good.
When I got home at 4:05, I went back to my room, slept for two hours, dreamed of sleeping through a shift, woke up at six, and showered.
I eventually watched "The Blind Side" with my family, which is AMAZING. Like, really. It's so funny and touching and heart warming and Sandra Bullock is an original bad ass in that movie.
Then mom and I watched some "Criminal Minds," and we're watching "Friends" currently.
Oh, TV.

I received my first Youtube Hater Comment in awhile.
"your boring. . ... .. its not even funny because your fat. its just boring."
Now, admittedly, the video (the one about my room) is not a very good video. It was the first video that I filmed on my laptop, on the fourth take, and I'm just glad that it turned out to be viewable at all. I've gotten some feedback from it (mostly "Are those handcuffs in your floor!?" to which I respond "Yes, yes they are."), but this is the only negative comment I've gotten.
I'm not even THAT bothered by it. I'm not pissed off that they called me fat. I'm pissed off that he (yes, a 24 year old male) isn't educated enough to use proper grammar or find a decent insult. Or use an ellipses properly. Really, jackass? Really?

I don't want to leave you on that note, but I think I will. I'm out of things to say.
Admittedly, there were a couple of low points to today, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment