8/12/2010

Emily Dickinson Was A Genius

Today I had to be at work by 9 a.m. yet again, which is starting to wear me down but, oddly, I'm starting to get used to it. I still don't like it, and won't like it as long as I have to wake up early, but my brain is starting to become more alert sooner in the day.
Today wasn't really worth mentioning, though. It was fun because there were people there who are really funny and work together well, but kind of slow all at the same time. I miss the floor sometimes because the front is so slow, but I'm getting used to being up front and finding things to do. The Boss Man was even nice enough to get me (or Cliff) a drink from Whattaburger, which was awesome; I needed some caffiene.
While on break, I started reading "The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson," which I thought I would like but didn't think I would get into. Poetry is usually something shoved down my throat in English class and not something that I read for fun.
Oh, how wrong I was. Within the first poem (INTRODUCTORY poem, even), I was amazed.

Here are a few excerpts from what I read...

Part 1: Life

Introduction:
"This is my letter to the world,
That never wrote to me, -
The simple news that Nature told,
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!"

I:
"Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed."

IV:
"Life is but life, and death but death!
Bliss is but bliss, and breath but breath!
And if, indeed, I fail,
At least to know the worst is sweet.
Death means nothing but defeat,
No drearier can prevail!"
(This is my favorite.)

VI:
"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain."
(My second favorite, though not by much.)

IX:
"The heart asks pleasure first,
And then, excuse from pain;
And then, those little anodynes
That deaden suffering;

And then, to go to sleep;
And then, if it should be the will of it's Inquisitor,
the liberty to die."

X:
"A precious, mouldering pleasure 't is
To meet an antique book."

XVI:
"The fight aloud is very brave,
But gallanter, I know,
Who charge within their bosom,
The cavalry of woe.

Who win, and nations do not see,
Who fall, and none observe,
Who's dying eyes no country
Regards with patriot love."


If given a little background on Emily Dickinson, you wouldn't expect this brilliance to have come from her. She was lively and social into her early twenties, but soon became a recluse. She lived in her parent's house and went unseen for the majority of her adulthood until death; she was never married. She wrote poetry in her solitude, yet most didn't have proper titles (which I love; why does everything need a title?).

Anyway, she WAS a genius. She saw the world through different, but intelligent, eyes, and she possessed the ability to take one's breath away with her words.

Though it probably goes without saying, I admire this woman, even though she is long since deceased. I could only hope to write like her.

Well, maybe a cross between her and J.K. Rowling. Maybe throw some John Green in there.
If this could happen, I would be one Hell of a writer.

Currently Reading: Well, if it isn't obvious by now... "The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson"

<3

Edit: I was informed about an hour ago that they /finally/ released where "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" is being split. Apparently they're splitting it where Voldemort breaks into Dumbledore's tomb to get the Elder Wand, which is pretty dang close to the end. All that happens after that are Aberforth's (Dumbledore's brother) storyline, the Battle at Hogwarts, and the Epilogue (which I wish they would leave out but at the same time I'm so very curious to see how they pull of the aging and kids). Honestly, I think they should cut it sooner (it was originally rumored to be cut where Ron left), but stopping it where the evil guy breaks into THE greatest (albeit dead) wizard of all time's tomb is pretty shocking.
(Side note: If you didn't know anything about the seventh book or movie, sorry for the spoilers.)
(Though you probably should have heard SOMETHING about it by now. I mean, the only way you wouldn't have is if you were shoved into a box without Internet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment