4/22/2015

(S)ister (Specifically, my Sister)

My sister's name is Rachel. She looks more like my dad's side, and I look like my mom's side - I am my mother's clone.

She came around when I was two; my parents tried VERY HARD to have a sibling for me - dad was hoping for a boy, but I was given Rachel instead and was very excited to have her. For awhile, I had a hard time adjusting. I got in trouble a lot and sent to my room because I didn't know how to share my toys. No, I couldn't possibly remember - WE HAVE VIDEO OF THIS!

I haven't always treated her nicely, at all. I was actually pretty emotionally abusive for a really long time because that was all I knew - from my father, my boyfriends, etc - and our relationship was based on me being a shithead and her being afraid of me. I have slapped her once when I was seventeen - I will never, ever do it again.

Through the past few years, she has been my rock. I finally realized her value after my last huge break up, the one that broke me into pieces. She kept me alive for her and my family.

She and I share depression, something that I wasn't aware was an issue for her. I mean, I knew it was when she was a kid, but I thought that it got better. I know that depression doesn't just go away, but I thought it was what the psychiatrist that I had in seventh grade called it - "situational depression." She feels unaccomplished and unloved; I am doing my best to bring light to her days.

We have been through a lot together - our parents splitting up, overcoming differences, making each up with each other after a fight. We are not perfect. We step on each other's toes A LOT. But at the end of the day, we love each other very much.

We have each other's back. We calm each other down after a night full of tears. We see each other as beautiful, even when we cannot see it within ourselves. We mend each other's hearts after a significant other breaks them. We see movies, attend Conventions, watch Netflix, go on sisterly dates, and make a HUGE deal out of each other's birthday with anything that we have to work with.

No matter how imperfect we are, we are definitely perfect for each other, and I wouldn't choose anyone else to have as my little sister.

< 3

3 comments:

  1. I always wanted a sister (but sadly never got one). You two look so wonderful together.

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two sisters. We used to annoy each other, but like most siblings, once we grew up, we got a lot closer.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm missing my sisters! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again!

    Sylvia
    www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete