4/02/2016

(B)ooks

I have an addiction, a problem even. I mean, I guess I should be grateful that it's not to something way worse, but... it still gets bad. I am addicted to... books.

I have been obsessed with books since I was a toddler. I am told that I would have whoever was available read to me - my uncle, my parents, babysitters, grandparents, whoever. When mom was pregnant with my sister, and had a huge baby belly, mom says I would bring a book and sit on her belly in order to be read to. It continued from there with random chapter books series, and a subscription to the Magic School Bus Book Club where I got cool things in the mail from Scholastic as well as a book every month. According to Goodreads (where I have started to keep track of the books I've read/want to read/am reading), I have read 224 books; that is a very, very low estimate. I borrowed and read so many books from whoever I could - friends, family, the Library - that there is really no way for me to go back and add all of the books I've ever read. Fast forward to when I am an adult with my own job and my own money to spend as I please and... well...

I buy books with the intention of reading them. There are SO MANY that I am SO excited for that I CANNOT WAIT TO READ... and they get put off for other, newer books that I want to read. Currently I am reading four books - yes, I said four. I've been stuck on "We Are the Warriors" by Theresa Nichols Schuster (that I received as a digital copy for free in exchange for a review that I have yet to do) and "Passage" by C. Marie Bowen (I received a physical copy for free in exchange for a review) for over a year. I have been reading "Brian's Winter" by Gary Paulson off and on since December of last year. And I started "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness because it calls to me (I am on chapter 3 or 4 and started it last month sometime). I am working toward knocking those four books out, but then there's the rest...

My books are divided into two shelves - the books I've read are on a tall, wooden shelf, and the books I buy but have yet to read are on a smaller white shelf. Books that I read but did not like go in a box for Half Price Books, or in this case Accio Books! (which starts on the 6th of this month!). Both shelves are full, and the box is full. According to Goodreads, I have 63 books on the white shelf, none of which I have even cracked the spines. My goal is to read as many of these as possible (a feasible goal would be 10-15 of them), but every time I read one I add another two.

Though I see my book hoarding as a problem, my sister tells me there really isn't one. She said to me recently that you can't spend too much money on books; they are probably one of the few things that should never be considered too expensive. Books take me to different worlds, teach me life lessons and help me grow as a human, and help me to broaden my mind. You cannot put a price on this. This is why I love them.

Favorite Books:

- The Harry Potter Series: I grew up reading these books (age 11 through now)

- Skellig by David Almond

- The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

- We Were Liars by E. Lockart

- I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak

- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

- Every Day by David Levithan

- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

- Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas

(these are just a few. if I listed them all, we'd be here ALL. DAY.)

Favorite Authors:

- Maureen Johnson (Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes)

- J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)

- John Green (Looking For Alaska, The Fault In Our Stars)

- James Patterson (Maximum Ride Series)

- Sarah Dessen (Just Listen)

- Augusten Burroughs (Running With Scissors)

- James Frey (A Million Little Pieces)

(these are just a few)

< 3

2 comments:

  1. I recognize myself in you. Come sit near me and we will discuss our hoarding (collection) process together.

    Pam Margolis
    An Unconventional Librarian
    Co-Host, Blogging from A to Z April Challenge
    http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a member of that club too! I'm obsessed with all things Austen and I've been known to go on a Potter binge. I have tons of unread books in storage as I cannot seem to stop myself. Good to find a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete